Natya Mayuri Shobana, enthrals me in so many aspects !!
One look of her , makes my eyes captivated. Though I don’t generally go with outward looks, I should say, this young lady is graceful with her smile, lively with her lovely eyes! I know not if the art that makes her beautiful ,but she has a charm!
As any other internet user, I was searching for some good dance performances of her in youtube.
By chance, I happened to watch the movie ‘Dance like a man’ ,directed by Pamela Rooks based on Mahesh Dattani’s play . On screen are Shobana , Anoushka Shankar Arif Zakaria as lead roles in this poetic drama.
Somebody asked me why I am so particular about this movie, (you see ,I asked almost all my friends to watch this film). There are so many reasons…..
The movie though not an entertainer brings out the quotidian problems and varied emotions of the human community.
1.The failure and anguish of a man who chooses a profession that is inharmonious to the conventional expectations of the society is featured so well.
‘Happiness of a man lies in being a man !!’
‘A woman in man’s world is progressive, but a man in woman’s world is pathetic’ …. There are too many inferences that can be made out of this statement … I do not want to touch upon them. All in all, a man can be a man only if he formulates his path according to the long back conventions of this society!
2. I always say , every human is selfish ….and there’s nothing called selfless love in this mortal world. Everyone used to contradict me that I am too much getting into the intricate composition of nature. May be I am … but that’s what it is, everything has strings leading to everything else…and that’s how it is , we attach to people just to satiate our own selfish reason. May be the complexity of the reason may vary ….but the ultimate motive behind anything is self gratification.
And I found a strong representation of my point in the film. This is a conversation between the father in law and the daughter in law.
‘You seemed to forget , I married him because he is a dancer ’
’That’s what he believes and it is little harder to convince ’
‘it is the truth….’
‘Is it? Did u marry him because he will let you dance ? ‘
How true ! Love, marriage, everything creates a sickness in me - They are all driven by selfish motives!!
Ratna Devi is pictured as a woman who has used her husband to further her own talents and image.
Jayaraj is showed as a man with the typical ego unable to comprehend the occurrence of his spouse overtaking his talent.
The couple fail miserably in sharing their lives for the sake of growing their common love for art , by fighting for self claim rather than exhibiting a concerted creativity.
3. The strong persuasion of the unfulfilled dreams and desires of the parents on the child is vividly shown throughout the course of the film.
‘I never thought this interest of urs would turn into an obsession ‘ ,Says the father who couldn’t patronise his son’s interest.
‘You cant stop me from doing what I want’
‘As long as you are under my care …..’
He appears before us who makes use of the disappointing situation ( the spouse’s strong desire to excel) and tries to impose his own methods of making him an adult!
The lady whose dreams were shattered due to an unexpected fatal loss, has her daughter as her mannequin to fulfil her lost ambitions… The poor girl , is confused about if she dances only to please them and not to please her own self …but somehow she manages to please her parents ! (Its like., I have got to be everything they couldn’t be )
Height of disaster and Mortality !! The mother is jealous of her own daughter ! One can understand that very clearly! Again its my second point!
Above all…. I liked every line of the film…the way it was crafted….may be, too much similar to how I talk with people( only a few had bore the brunt of it though ;) !!
‘You are all that I have….’
‘Then I am sorry to say, you are left with nothing!’
He he…One such try--- I have expressed all my views though I have conveyed nothing :) !!
A good film …but would be a time pass only for a few contradictory species like me!
Do watch if you have time!
5 comments:
"I always say, every human is selfish ….and there’s nothing called selfless love in this mortal world."
Absolutely. I agree completely.
You almost made me allocate some time for this movie in my scheduler.Will catch it up.. Ur review is stimulating me to do so:) Thanks!
Selfless love- I agree with you that there cant be one thing like that! Have u read Ayn Rand..?? Going by your posts I guess no.
Even here - I recommend her spending my time because I have a selfish motive of seeing some more great analytic posts from you once you read her:)
@deepak !
do watch and let me know if u liked it!
Ofcourse,I like Ayn Rand so much !
Howard Roark is my favourite charcter, ofcourse his impact is more on me:)
What an analysis/review!
Selfless love - Maybe, there is something like that existing, its just that we're not seeing it.
Not only love/marriage, I think every relationship has a selfish motive, just, the degree of selfishness varies.
....And you've made me think more now..
Love this post, as I can see the same confusion in you ;)
@Laks, True.. Knowingly or unknowingly, there's a purpose behind every association/relationship. And this opinion will never change :)
Post a Comment