March 11, 2010

Vinnai thaandi varuvaaya - Colorful !

And After a long time ...
Vinnai thaandi varuvaaya made me come out here and write !

Story : Its a colorful:) love story revolving between Karthik,an aspiring film maker and Jessie , a girl from an orthodox Christian family.

Cinematography , Simply Great ! I should say I loved the way every scene was taken. The minimal lighting effect used takes us to a whole beautiful world! The film can be watched once to bathe in the scenic magic. Even the locales look cool to the eyes! Fabulous work !

Costume , casually smart !
How often is a heroine projected exclusively in sari ? Kudos to that. Trisha looks gorgeous!
Even;) Simbu looks cool.

Music :
Excellent background score ! Too good songs...Already all the numbers have become my favourites ! :)

Lyricist needs special mention.. Thamarai has done a great job.

Well.. I still wonder why i did not like the movie. I couldnt categorise myself as a person who hates romantic movies either,
after having watched a whole lot of romantic films in almost all languages i know.
After listing out the positives ...And here comes a longer list than the pluses !

Karthik : Typical depiction of a city guy.
Jessie : A confused female , who never knows what to choose and why.

Love at first sight , that too with an elder woman.
May be, that itself may be one of the biggest reasons for me to hate the movie.
Typical Simbuish.

The fact that she is older than him is repeated 'n' number of times in the movie , with calculative terms to fit the scenes somehow is horrible.
I wondered if the movie's sole aim is to stress, that a guy can fall in love with a girl of greater age than him?

Every single line in the movie is artificial.
An overdose of English and F words. What do they think ? Use of such words is cultured ?

Repetitive frames/scenes irritates at times. The train scenes being referenced in one or more scenes is upsetting the vibes. Again simbuish.

I really do not understand whom has the hero tried to imitate. But sometimes, i had to concentrate to listen to what he says.
Silenced dialogues to express sadness dont fit the mood.

Manipaaya is a mind blowing number. But where was it fitted in , as if it was a happy duet unlike the lyrics ?
The placement of almost all the songs looked too forced , and it did not create any emotion , as it would have , if rightly placed.
And at times, I felt the Rock BGM in certain places could have been avoided. I struggled to listen to the words spoken.

Pace is definitely a concern... Slow slow.. .that you tend to wonder if the film will ever end.

And now the storyline... Boy loves girl, girl loves boy ( confused if she has to ).
They meet, talk , hug , part, again unite, talk , hug , part.
Finally, it is someone else who married the girl. And it takes a little time for us to understand that , after a whole length of real/ imaginary scenes.
Sorry for letting the climax out... oh... the widely spoken climax in tamil film industry.

The self appreciative dialogues in the last part of the movie is really funny..

On the whole, i felt the movie is too much artificial and wholly misses the magic !

P.S : Specially made for slow romantic genre lovers. If you don’t fall in this category, don’t ever waste your money.

6 comments:

JP said...

Nice review Krish. I 've seen telugu version of this movie. It was cool, calm, quiet emotional. So, I just involved in the movie n cudnt find somany things which u ve mentioned. Nice findings.. :)
Repetitive discussion abt the train scene was bit irritating. But, few repetitive discussions abt the fact that Jessie is elder than Karthik were convincing as that plays major role in orthodox families.
Heard that Telugu movie climax was changed. Not sure. Jessie n Karthik marry each other in the climax.

ESAK said...

Hmmm ... well all u r bad points are taken into consideration, yet its one of the good movie NOT be reviewed very badly.

Lady Peare said...

@JP
Thanx JP !Yes! Telugu climax is changed .

Lady Peare said...

@Esak,
It isnt reviewed badly though! :o
True, sometimes, we like some movies if we could find some connection to the movie ( in simple terms , if we can relate to it somehow)! :p
Well, I agree, at certain places , the dialogues have taken form beautifully , and has a classy touch.
But still,definitely, it is not a film to the mass!
I m planning to watch it once again, when the original DVD's are out. It can be stored , for the scenic shots.
P.S : I somehow thought that u would have liked this movie.
So what made u like it ?

ESAK said...

Here is the list of things I liked about the movie:
• I am a fan of Gautham Movies.
• Soulful Dialogues, Elegant Cinematography, Artistic and Aggressive Music, Simple Direction
• Portrayal of Hero, Heroines, Hero’s friend and most of the characters in the film. I have seen Characters like Karthik and Jessie in real life too.
• Movie is simple and very realistic, Climax is very realistic and I have seen such incidents in real life. 
• I want Tamizh Audience to watch these kinds of movies rather than watching movies where the heroes kick out 100s of baddies just by raising the eyebrow. ;)
• It’s a slow movie but what’s there in watching it when it is really good
• Of course Trisha is pretty and her costumes, smiles steal the show. This can be the best role that Trisha might have played in her career and she must be lucky, also she has done a good job.
Note:
• I hate Actor Simbhu but can’t stop appreciating him when he has done it well and Will be happy if he continues to act rather than playing with his fingers and producers money
• I don’t like confusing gals like Jessie in real life but it’s a movie and she is a portrayal of the most of gals or at least a good number of them.
• This is one of the movies, after coming out I felt NOT to review it badly, I hardly decide like this.

Senthil Kumar said...

Hi Senior,
Finally VTV made your thoughts to jump from your mind and fall on to your blog. But still the audience are expecting more …..